Difficult surface fails to doom Turriff’s progress in the cup

Turriff United 2-0 Huntly 

Turriff United progressed to the quarter finals of the Breedon Aggregates Highland League Cup to face Fraserburgh after defeating Huntly on a difficult surface at the Haughs. Lewis Davidson grabbed the opener for the hosts early on and Christopher Herd secured their place in the next round on the 74 minutes mark.

Last week Huntly’s top scorer David Booth left to join Ross Jack’s side but there was no sign of him on Saturday so him haunting his former club was off the cards as he wasn’t signed before the competition began. Despite an encouraging second half display from the visitors this couldn’t prevent the home side from winning the match.

The first real chance fell to the home side with Aaron McKenna doing a neat one two with Leszek Nowosieiski which led to the former Polish under-20 international midfielder getting a shot off which was well saved by Stuart Grant.

At the other end Neale Davidson swung in a set piece into the box however it was cleared. But the ball fell perfectly for alert Darren Wood who struck a thunder strike from long range which looked to be going in but Kevin Main tremendously pushed it away.

Soon after, Huntly’s keeper came off his line for some odd reason and was almost punished by dangerman Nowosieiski who let fly with a blitzing strike from 15 yards out which crashed off the post thankfully for the away side.

In the 6th minute the opener came for the home side with Lewis Davidson tucking the ball into the net from close range after some school boy defending from the Black and Golds as they failed to mark him.

Then Douglas Baxter’s side pressed forward with Iain Cruickshank almost leveling the game as he turned his marker to curl the ball but it went past the right post.

Not long after Robert Allan floated a set piece into the penalty area but Grant did well to jump highest to gather the ball.

The neat passing and build up play by Turra led to Craig MacAskill driving through on goal with the goalie coming out towards him however he flicked the ball wide of the target while under pressure from defender Darren Wood.

Again the home side pushed for the second with Allan smashing a shot goal wards with the keeper brilliantly saving.

In the 28th minute Huntly were given a massive blow when captain Murray McCulloch fell painfully on the ground and had to be taken off to be replaced by Adam McNamee.

Skillful Aaron McKenna was menace to the Huntly backline when he found Davidson in space but the player lost his composure from close range and hit his shot past the post.

Minutes later remarkably the ball was played to MacAskill who was miles offside but the lineman failed to put up his flag so the player on the right flank drew the keeper out and he rounded him to pass it to Allan whose shot from a couple of yards was cleared off the line by alert defender Wood. He saved his side’s bacon.

Nowosieiski proved to be a danger again as he used his trickily to get in behind the defense and struck a effort wide of the target.

Just before the break, Alexander Thoirs fired a powerful shot which looped over the crossbar.

After the interval the traveling team made a promising start with Thoirs firing an effort which was well blocked by Artjoms Kuznecovs. Then Cruickshank ballooned an effort well wide of the target.

At the opposite end MacAskill passed the ball to Paul Young whose close range shot was saved and then Glenn Murison came to the rescue to clear it to safety.

Soon after MacAskill watched his snap shot being easily saved by Grant. In the 74th minute Turriff doubled their lead when a corner was whipped in from the right hand side with Chris Herd hitting a shot which the goalie put into his own net. Herd claimed the goal and secured the host’s place in the next round.

Copyright © Sean McAngus and Scottish Fitba Base, 2013-2017  

All rights reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without written permission from this site’s author Sean McAngus and owner is strictly prohibited. All photos belong to the photographers who took them.

Donate to the blog:paypal.me/SeanMcAngus

Follow me : seanmcangusfootballblog.wordpress.com



SNAPCHAT: @ScottishFitba


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s